Pizza can be one of the hardest dishes to recreate as dairy-free and gluten-free. Dairy-Free Down Under Co-Founder Jenny Flanagan shares this recipe that takes like “real” pizza.
- 1 pizza base (optional GF)
- 1 portion of Tomato Sauce (see recipe and method below)
- 1 pack of Dairy-Free Down Under 200g Mozzarella Shreds
- A selection of your favorite toppings (I like to keep it simple and just top with fresh basil leaves).
- 1 tin of crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoon of tomato puree
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 small brown onion finely diced
- 2 tablespoons of Italian mixed herbs
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Fry onion, garlic and herbs together until soft.
- Add tomatoes and purée.
- Stir well, season and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Liquidise and allow to cool slightly before using.
Assembly of Pizza
- Place 2 to 3 tablespoons of tomato sauce on each pizza or to taste (spread evenly).
- Place your favourite toppings on top of pizza.
- Scatter Dairy-Free Down Under mozzarella cheese shreds over the top.
- Put into oven and bake on 200°c until Mozzarella starts to melt.
- Then, put under the grill until it browns. This is an important step and key to creating that “gooey” cheesy texture.
- Pull out and top with basil leaves.