Seventy-five per cent of Australians confess to having a packet of peas in their freezer at all times, but are stumped for ways to use them. Birds Eye have partnered with Masterchef runner up Ben Borsht to give the humble smashed pea the limelight it deserves.
Halloumi + Smashed Peas
- 1½ tsp sumac
- 100ml Greek yoghurt
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Small handful of mint, chopped
- Sea salt
- 150g Birds Eye frozen Australian-grown garden peas
- 30g unsalted butter
- 1 large bunch of watercress
- ½ bunch of spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 120g halloumi, thickly sliced
- Fresh pita or Lebanese bread
- Make a dressing by combining the sumac, yoghurt, lemon juice, mint and a pinch of salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Blanch the peas in boiling water for 2 minutes, drain and crush with potato masher then stir through butter and spring onions.
- Heat a griddle pan over high heat and add the halloumi. Fry for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden and marked.
- To serve, spoon about 2 tbsp of crushed peas onto centre of plate. Place halloumi in a stack on top of the peas place a handful of watercress salad on top.
- Drizzle over the yoghurt dressing and serve with toasted pita bread.