Capturing the flavours of spring, this hearty dish fuses lamb with sweet potatoes for an indulgent salad. Sprinkles of feta and bacon provide a surprising savouriness under the sweet, tangy dressing.
Lamb Backstrap Salad
- 3 lamb backstraps
- 400 g rocket leaves and mixed leaves
- 2 sweet potatoes, cut into 1 cm cubes (to be roasted)
- 2–3 small beetroot, cooked and cubed
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- 75 g crumbled feta
- 3 bacon rashers, cooked and diced
- 50 g pine nuts, roasted
- 100 g roasted red capsicum (pepper), sliced into strips
- Barbecue rub (see below)
- 50 ml olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Honey lemon mustard dressing
- Spiced avocado yogurt dressing
- 5 g brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Combine all barbecue rub ingredients together.
- Rub the lamb back straps with oil and barbecue rub.
- Let marinate for 30 minutes then on a hot grill cook for 3–4 minutes each side then rest for 10 minutes.
- Peel and cube the sweet potato place in a large bowl then microwave for 4–5 minutes until tender, dress with an enough oil to coat the potato and season with salt and pepper. Then place in a shallow oven tray on a medium hot barbecue with the hood down for 10–15 minutes or until browned. Once done, set aside.
- On a medium hot barbecue cook of the bacon to your liking and set aside to dress the salad later.
- Slice the lamb back strap into thin slices then on serving platter add the leaves, onion and toss, then top with the lamb slices, sweet potato cubes, beetroot, feta, capsicum and bacon.
- When ready to serve, top with both the honey lemon mustard and spiced avocado yogurt dressing and pine nuts